Arrowheads

Chip Taylor work at XWB.COM
Thu Sep 7 08:54:30 EDT 2006

Ok this one seemed so simple but I have yet to get this to work.  The
project I am working has a need to show traffic flow along a section of a
road or highway.  Ideally the end result would be an arrowhead at the end of
a line segment, but regularly spaced arrows along the line segment would
also work.  The shape file is one that came from the public domain.

Problem #1: creation of the arrowhead.  I would like the symbol to be
derived from a Truetype font if possible.  I found a good arrow symbol in
Wingdings at character #232.  I created a symbolset entry like this:
	SYMBOL
		NAME "Arrow1"
		TYPE TRUETYPE
		FONT "Wingdings"
		CHARACTER "&#232"
		FILLED true
		ANTIALIAS true
		GAP -70
	END
When I reference this symbol, I get &#232 displayed instead of the symbol.
When I use the "sans" font and the ">" symbol (not my optimum choice), the
">" displays along the line as it should.

Problem #2: adding only to the end of the line and only the desired end with
the symbol properly oriented.  Haven't figured this one out!

Problem #3: if #2 isn't possible, then having the directional arrowhead
appear periodically along the line is acceptable (like it does with the > in
#1).  However, I cannot seem to control the orientation of the symbol.
Along some segments of the line, the symbol will point one way and other
segments it will point just the opposite.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Chip Taylor