MapServer Capabilities

Fri Sep 8 08:38:43 EDT 2006

Campbell, Keith A wrote:
> Thanks Steve.
>
> Does that mean that any layer based on a SQL Server DB (an ordinary
> layer without a join) would be relatively slow?

I believe only postgis has spatial indexes. You would need to read the
docs on OGR, it provides an ODBC connection that is basicaly used to
support dynamic data as a layer. It also has basic support for JOINs
between shapefiles and a database. I think this will suffer from poor
performance if you have a large dataset.

> Is it possible to create feature joins as I've described with other DB
> types?

Yes, if the database supports ODBC, but all the same problems will exist.

Only PostGIS/postgres have good native support built into mapserver and
a robust support gor geometry built into the database.

-Steve W