Question Regarding Perl Mapscript

Gabriel A Weaver Gabriel.Weaver at TUFTS.EDU
Tue Sep 12 18:23:42 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to install mapscript for perl and run into the following error:

[terminal: ]$ perl -e 'use lib
"/web/cgi-bin/Progs/lib/5.6.0/i386-linux"; use mapscript; my $map = new
mapObj("DBs/MapData/world.map"); if ($map == null) { print "UTOH!";}
else { print "IT WORKS!";}'

Unfortunately, I keep getting "UTOH", indicating I have a null pointer
instead of a mapObj object.

So far I have: a) verified that the world.map file is in the proper location
b) checked permissions
c) rebuilt mapscript.pm after re-swigging.

Note, I am building with an older version of MapServer, a version from
1999, because I heard that MapServer 4 maps may not be fully compatible
with mapserver 3 data.  Any help you could provide would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Gabe