Strange map draw issue

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Sep 14 12:06:33 EDT 2006

Steve -

I actually was asking if the output changed if the SAME map was
refreshed - don't zoom in, out, or pan, just refresh the image/reload
the page.  Does the same image request always return the same image?

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

________________________________

From: Steve Hall [mailto:steve.hall at mercatorgeosystems.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:39 AM
To: Ed McNierney
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Strange map draw issue

Hi Ed,

Thanks for this.  I may check my label columns in the database for NULLs
and replace them with an empty string ('') instead.   It looks like a
classic 'null' issue doesn't it?

Yup - zoom in, zoom out, pan etc and the garbage generally just
disappears, or changes its 'content'.   Often the angle is the same
(suspicious) but sometimes not.....  There aren't any features on the
angles so i'm not sure if it's a labelling issue or not.  Plus the
problem only occurs about 1 in 20 or so map draws so is kind of hard to
get a definite problem case.

Checkout these additional ones :

http://demo.mercatorgeosystems.co.uk/tmp/1158243616324003.png

And just to prove it's not all CA....  ;-)

http://demo.mercatorgeosystems.co.uk/tmp/1158244089248601.png
http://demo.mercatorgeosystems.co.uk/tmp/1158244147717403.png

Thanks Ed,
Steve

Take a
Ed McNierney wrote:

	Steve -

	Well, just about anything in California is a little odd.....

	Are you saying that if you simply refresh the image and re-draw
the exact same map you'll see this line of text change?  That's
puzzling.  I would speculate that it's a (garbage) text label for some
garbage feature - there's some feature that's defective in both location
and label (attributes messed up) and that feature is being labeled.

	The first thing I'd try is to eliminate layers from the image,
testing until the garbage goes away.  That could identify the offending
layer; if there are multiple classes in that layer, use the same system
to identify which class it is.  Then see if that says anything helpful.

	ed at topozone.com
	(978) 251-4242