ogr2ogr: Command not found

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter at FU-BERLIN.DE
Sat Sep 16 06:03:01 EDT 2006

Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> I have tried the following as root in /usr/share/gdal-1.3.2/ but none
> of the gdal commands that were compiled with my original gdal install
> are replaced:
>
> # make clean
> #./configure --with-xerces=/root/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/
> # make
> # make install | grep ogr2ogr
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

Strange. This looks like there is no install target in your Makefile. I
suggest either reconfigure, recompile and reinstall with a newly
unpacked tarball (I did a quick test and for my download, there *is* an
install target. My ./configure output gives me:

[...]
GDAL is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  Installation directory:    /usr/local
  C compiler:                gcc -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++ -O2
[...]

Alternatively, you can manually mv the files to /usr/local/bin, of course:

mv ogr/ogr2ogr [...] /usr/local/bin/