Google Earth can now access OGC WMS services.

Julien, Heryk hjulien at NRCAN.GC.CA
Wed Sep 20 10:00:05 EDT 2006

Hi to all,
This may be of general interest. A couple of weeks ago I created a wms to kml online service transformation but I have just been informed that the new Google Earth (GE) 4.0.2091 (Beta) can now read OGC WMS services directly. I was able to view my Mapserver WMS services directly in GE. Cool!

You'll find the new option in the image overlays. Plus, if you want your mapserver getmap images to have a transparent background, you should modify the WMS getmap call manually to fetch png rather than gif. Have fun!

Cheers
Héryk