Arrow symbology

Wed Sep 20 10:14:02 EDT 2006

The work around at the moment would be to create a point layer of arrow
heads
and then use a truetype font or MapServer vector symbol to draw the
heads. Your
point shapefile could contain an angle column from which you could pull
the orientation.
The STYLE object has an ANGLEITEM property that can pull in the angle
from the
attribute table. Layer might look like:

LAYER
  NAME 'arrow_heads'
  DATA 'arrrow_heads'
  STATUS DEFAULT
  CLASS
    STYLE
      SYMBOL 'triangle'
      SIZE 5
      ANGLEITEM 'angle'
      COLOR 255 0 0
    END
  END
END

You could you mapscript to process the line file and create the point
file with angles...

Steve

>>> Christopher Watson <cwatson at UTAS.EDU.AU> 09/19/06 9:09 PM >>>
Hello,

We're trying to plot a series of velocity vectors at specific point
locations (GPS sites), reading direction and magnitude from an SQL
database.  We basically want a line with an arrow head at the end of it.

We can position symbols at intervals along a line, and orientate them
along the line, but not put them at the end of the line.

Does anyone have any tips or work arounds?

Perhaps we have to generate a polygon as the arrow head, based on the
vector end point and orientation?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Chris