BAG File Format Support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Sep 22 10:23:13 EDT 2006

Stephane Lessard wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Anyone knows if there are plans to support the Bathymetric Attributed
> Grid (BAG) file format? This format is used for gridded bathymetry data,
> and is part of the Open Navigation Surface project.
>
> _http://www.opennavsurf.org/background.html_
>
> They provide their source code and API... If someone is interested, we
> might be able to provide some fundings...

Stephane,

I downloaded the toolkit and docs, did a very quick skim and came to the
conclusion that the BAG files are HDF files.  To an HDF enabled GDAL the
file has to apparent subdatasets, one with the depth and one with the
confidence values.

There was no recognised geolocation information in the file, and the
vast majority of the metadata included was disregarded by GDAL.

So, I think we could get pretty good BAG support by adding a bit of
"custom product" logic in the existing HDF driver.  We have had to do
this for lots of other HDF products too.

But even as things stand you can already read the raw depth and
confidence arrays using GDAL.

Best regards,