Trying to implement a SOS for the first time

Hinrich Paulsen paulsen at TERRESTRIS.DE
Wed Sep 27 09:24:43 EDT 2006

Dear List,

posting to this list for the first time and am promptly rejected by the
system. Hopefully it is not an omen. :-) Well, here is my question again.

Dear List,

I am in the process of setting up a Sensor Observation Service (SOS) for the first time using a Kubuntu-Linux machine and the following Mapserver:

MapServer version 4.10.0-beta3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

My data is sitting in a Postgis table which I can easily access via WMS.

I have consulted the documentation at:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/sos_server/

and when trying out the examples given there the  GetCapabilities and  DescribeSensor Requests work fine so far but the GetObservation Request does not.

My idea of how the GetObservation Request should work is that data in a specific column in my Postgis table is returned when I define it in my SOS server mapfile. Here is a snippet of the mapfile:

<SNIP>

LAYER
  NAME test_sos_layer
  DUMP TRUE
  METADATA
    "sos_procedure"  "SW01UTL001"                                                        ## REQUIRED
    "sos_offering_id" "r_wert"                                                                    ## REQUIRED
    "sos_observedproperty_id" "r_wert"                                                    ## REQUIRED
    "sos_describesensor_url" "http://localhost/temp/SW01UTL001.xml"   ## REQUIRED
  END
  TYPE POINT
  STATUS ON

  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  CONNECTION "user=myuser dbname=mydb host=localhost port=5432"
  DATA "the_geom FROM (SELECT * FROM mytable) AS foo USING UNIQUE gid USING SRID=31467"

   PROJECTION
     	'init=epsg:31467'
   END

 CLASS
    NAME 'r_wert'
       STYLE
        SYMBOL 'circle'
        SIZE 5
        COLOR 255 100 50
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
      END
 END
END

</SNIP>

When I send this there is no error but all I get back is this:
<om:ObservationCollection gml:id="r_wert" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengeospatial.net/om http://schemas.opengis.net/om.xsd"/>

Where am I going wrong? Any help on pointing me in the right direction is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Hinrich

*  Freie Software: AmeiN! ArcMap-Export-2-UMN    *
* Download http://sourceforge.net/projects/avein *
*        LiveLinux 'WebGIS auf CD'               *
*        http://www.terrestris.de                *

terrestris GbR
Dipl.-Geogr. Hinrich Paulsen
Siemensstr. 8