Simplified state outline data?

Aaron Racicot aaronr at Z-PULLEY.COM
Tue Apr 24 20:17:39 EDT 2007

You can load [1] the data into PostGIS and use the simplify function [2] to
create a simplified geometry, and even dump back to shapefile [3] if you
wish.

[1] - http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id2707142
[2] - http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html#id2712912
[3] - http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id2707567

 Aaron Racicot - GIS Programmer
 360.221.2441 - aaronr at ecotrust.org
 e c o t r u s t
 pobox 1614
 langley wa 98260
 www.ecotrust.org

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jeff Dege
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:08 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Simplified state outline data?

We have an app that needs to generate a map with state outlines, but
needs to keep the total amount of data as small as possible.

Fortunately, we don't need precision, a rough approximation of the
outlines is fine.

Does anyone know of a source of approximate state outline data?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a tool I can use to reduce the number
of points in a geometric feature, while retaining the general outline?
Something that would take a complicated boundary drawn with points every
100 meters and return a simplified boundary drawn with points every 10
kilometers?