mapscript.mapObj(map_path+map_file)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Aug 1 10:35:15 EDT 2007

James McManus McManus wrote:
> [Tue Jul 31 21:45:58 2007] [error] [client 71.241.222.127]
> _mapscript.MapServerError: msInitGDALOutputFormat(): General error
> message. No GDAL driver named `GTiff' available.

Jim,

The error occurs when processing an OUTPUTFORMAT declaration referencing
the GDAL GTiff driver if the GTiff driver cannot be found.  In normal
operation the GTIFF driver should always exist and be registered by this
point in MapServer.

I suspect one of two things:

1) Some subtle heap corruption bug is blatting the GDAL driver registration
list in this very specific situation.  If this is the issue, some sort of
valgrind or similar memory checking tool might be useful in tracking down
the problem.

2) "Something else" is unregistering the GDAL driver at runtime.  This could
be due to a GDAL_SKIP environment variable listing the GTiff driver for
instance.  I was going to ask if the script is run using mod_python within
Apache in which case lots of issues could arise, but I see it is prefixed
with #!/usr/bin/python so this is somewhat unlikely.

Best regards,