world freemap agg/gd view

John Smith jayzee.smith at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 3 21:00:18 EDT 2007

here's nicking mapnik:

it is a case of style over substance when style (looking good) is over
substance (limited data sources it can handle).

we all know it is easier to ramp up style than substance. mapserver
with agg is proving that.

let's see how many eyes check the mapnik code? how many users have
given it a real-life test drive? how many users support its mailing
list (started jan 2006)? v. the same numbers for mapserver?

http://www.mapnik.org/faq/
"Which platforms does it run on? What about Mac and Windows?"
"At the moment only Linux OS is supported."
: talk about substance, doesn't even support half of the lamp stack
(mysql and php) either. like i was saying "not time/market-tested."

to imply that mapserver "suffers from design decisions made a decade
ago" or "re-invents the wheel" is pure fud. whoever put it on the faq
should take it off.

jzs