MapServer Performance Tips

Hal Mueller hal at MOBILEGEOGRAPHICS.COM
Tue Aug 7 16:15:35 EDT 2007

At 2:57 PM -0500 8/7/07, Timothy J Nolte wrote:

>  I'm not really sure that I want to move
>these separate layers into one with just class definitions because the
>legend does display the class definitions only layers

The legend ought to show individual classes from a single layer.  If
it doesn't, you could generate the legend once, and then use a static
image instead of a dynamic legend.

The more I think about it, the more I believe you are hurting
yourself by reading the same geometry 5 times.

>I'm really wondering if this is a hardware issue. The box is
>a Sun server with 4 x 400MHz processors and 4GB ram. That might not be a
>powerful enough machine to do what I'm trying to do.

Is it swapping?  How much of the CPU is going to user mode?

You might want to try shp2img on your mapfile as you edit it, to help
make sure your benchmark conditions are consistent between runs.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/shp2img

Hal