customizing epsg codes

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter at FU-BERLIN.DE
Thu Aug 16 08:52:34 EDT 2007

Hi Ed,

thank you very much for your comment.

Ed McNierney wrote:
> The server you're
> connecting to is violating the spec if they are inventing and publishing new
> namespaces.  Under some circumstances I am as willing to bend the rules as
> anyone else, but if you are going to require a non-standard behavior of your
> clients that will make it very difficult for client software to use your WMS
> server.

I was talking about namespaces which are already proposed to being
incorporated as OGC standards. Currently, EPSG codes are not working on
solar system's bodies except earth. That's why there is a urgent need
for expanding the existing standards. And the proposal I linked in my
first mail suggests well defined ones. As there are other mapservers
using these standards (e.g.
http://onmars.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?request=GetCapabilities or
http://www.mapaplanet.org/explorer-bin/imageMaker.cgi?map=Mars&request=GetCapabilities&version=1.1.1),
there is no real alternative to that (if not wanting to use EPSG:4326).

> The most practical and expedient solution is for your client AND the server
> to insert those same definitions into the EPSG table so you can make the
> request in a manner that's compliant with the WMS specification.  Good luck!

This is indeed the best short time solution for driving a server, but to
use UMN Mapserver as a client for the above mapservers (ESRI based, I
think), I will need to change Mapserver's code.

Regards,
Sebastian