Speeding up load time for huge SHP files

Mevima Winn paulanne.winn at WACORP.NET
Fri Aug 17 18:29:38 EDT 2007

I'm currently building a mapping application off C#, MapServer 4.10, and
approximately 45 SHP files.  Many of them are pretty fast to load,
especially utilizing the MINSCALE/MAXSCALE function, but once I start
zooming in to where US roads and tiny lakes start appearing, the app slows
WAY down.  Our theory here is that it's either trying to load the whole
shapefile and then zooming in on one spot, or reloading the shapefile every
time there is a new request.

So does anybody have an idea what might be happening?  The 350MB SHPfile
tends to take 20 seconds or so to load, whereas the 2.5GB SHPfile can take
several minutes.  Is there a way around this load time, or a way to optimize
it?  We kind of need all of the data, at least at these particular zooms.