Showing Movement Direction

Wed Aug 22 23:31:40 EDT 2007

Ben,

This is the same problem of displaying GPS tracks. They explicitly a set
of points, but when taken as a track over time they are a polyline. You
can not do anything with mapserver directly. You do have a few options:

1) write a script that adds heading column to each point, based on the
previous point and use this angle to orient a marker for the point.
2) load the data into postGIS and convert the points to a polyline and
either display it from postGIS or dump it back to a shapefile.
3) use postGIS to compute the heading column
4) other similar preprocess the data options

try search for "gps track" in both mapserver archives and postgis archives.

-Steve W