Showing Movement Direction

Russ Bradford Russ.Bradford at CSIRO.AU
Wed Aug 22 23:24:18 EDT 2007

Don't give up. What might work for you is to create two layers. the
first has all the points; the second has only the latest point. Make the
second layer the upper layer and give it a different symbol. Maybe that
would do the job for you.

Otherwise there is a way to 'make a line' out of points, but I have yet
to figure that one out. Once you have that, presumably you could have a
line with directional arrows on it.

Cheers, Russ.

  _____

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ben Madin
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2007 1:20 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Showing Movement Direction

G'day all,

I have been looking and reading, but I'm not sure I'm looking for the
right thing.

I have a number of points from satellite based tracking, giving me a
list of longitude, latitude and a timestamp. These are fairly regular,
and although I can display the points on the map window and see where
animals have moved to, I can't tell which way they moved just by
looking. We vets need to know what came first...

So I thought I could convert adjacent points (temporally) into line
segments, (earliest point first, latter point last), but I can't find
anywhere in Mapserver that seem to explicitly explain how to do this (or
whether it can be done).

Can anyone either :

direct me to the right place, or
give me a set of keywords which might get me to the right place, or
advise me to give up for now?

cheers

Ben

--