GD vs AGG performance...

Rob McCulley RMcCulley at COUNTY24.COM
Thu Aug 23 15:35:58 EDT 2007

That hasn't been my experience at all.  I wrote a quick little python
script that used mapscript to produce the same five maps twice, once
with agg and once with gd.  The mapfiles were identical, except for the
outputformat section, and the times were within 2% of each other.

Rob McCulley

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of John Cole
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:56 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] GD vs AGG performance...

Perhaps it's too early to discuss performance differences, but I was
curious
if the current AGG rendering speed is what to expect.

Looking at a few of my mapfiles, AGG is aprox 5 times slower than GD on
MS5
(with MS4 GD just a hair faster than MS5 GD).

The maps look great, but after spending a lot of time getting maps below
100ms, it's hurts to see them over a second again :-(  Just want my cake
and
get to eat it too :-)

Thanks,

John