Article about MapServer 5.0

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 28 04:40:35 EDT 2007

> Another question, I tested the new outputformat with AGG, is it possible
> to get jpg or gif image with it? If so, how can I setting up my mapfile
> to realize this? Do I need special flag when building mapserver?

 gif isn't supported with agg.
these are the main outputformats you can use with agg:

base outputformat, will output a 24 bit png:
OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME 'AGG'
  DRIVER AGG/PNG
  IMAGEMODE RGB
END

24 bit png, rendered on a transparent background:
OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME 'AGGA'
  DRIVER AGG/PNG
  IMAGEMODE RGBA
END

24 bit jpeg output:
OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGG_JPEG'
    DRIVER AGG/JPEG IMAGEMODE RGB
END

png output, with number of colors reduced with quantization:
OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME 'AGG_Q'
  DRIVER AGG/PNG
  IMAGEMODE RGB
  FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
  FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
  FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=256"
END

as for building, it will depend on your platform, but generally speaking
you'll run

./configure [...] --with-agg=/usr [...] if you're using a distro build of
agg

or

./configure [...] --with-agg=/path/to/agg-source [...] if you're using a
downloaded version from antigrain.com (you'll have to build agg in the
source directory before doing this. just running 'make' should be enough)

happy to answer other questions if any (en francais aussi, si c'est plus
facile)

thomas