Color shifts using QUANTIZE_COLORS=256

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 14:48:43 EST 2007

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Try using something liek this:
>
>    OUTPUTFORMAT
>      NAME "agg/png24"
>      MIMETYPE "image/png; mode=24bit"
>      DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
>      EXTENSION "png"
>      FORMATOPTION "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE"
>      FORMATOPTION "PALETTE=/u/data/maps/palette-google-agg.txt"
>    END
>
> where /u/data/maps/palette-google-agg.txt has something like this in it.
> Obviously pick the colors that you want to quantize to:

I was worried that that would mean that I would have to by hand pick ALL of
the colors, which, given antialiasing isn't really what I want.  I want to
specify that the reasonably small set of colors I specify in the map file
get rendered precisely, and that's all I want to specify.  I'm happy (and
prefer) to have the "in between" colors chosen by antialiasing get chosen
automatically, and they don't have to be so precise.

Just to clarify for someone reading this message in the future, that is
exactly how it seems to work.  So all is well.

- Rich