Color shifts using QUANTIZE_COLORS=256

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 14:53:41 EST 2007

tbonfort wrote:

> Mapserver relies on a gd library function to do the actual
> quantization, so there's little we can do about the color shifting
> you're experiencing
> another solution is to use a precomputed palette

As I mentioned in another posting, your workaround (also suggested by
Stephen Woodbridge) works fine for my needs.

Nevertheless, do you feel that this is a GD bug that ought to be reported to
them?  I suppose it depends on your precise interpretation of what
quantization should do under certain circumstances.  But in this case as
applied to image processing, I'm inclined to think that if I only request a
single color and a quantization limit of 256 colors (or really any request
<= 256 colors in this case), that the color(s) requested should be returned
without modification.

- Rich