temp directory remain empty

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Wed Dec 5 08:55:32 EST 2007

As Richard said, if you are using cgi with mode=map, no image is written
to disk, it is just streamed to the client.

If you are using cgi in mode=browse, the default mode, you will write
images to the temp folder.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Richard Duivenvoorde
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:16 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] temp directory remain empty

Hi Milo,
it depends how you use mapserver:
- as a cgi
- using mapserver/php script (mapscript)

Using it as a cgi (as you do), there will be no temporary images: upon
creating the map-image the image is streamed to the client. Using
mapscript, mapscript generates an image and a page in which there
is an url to THIS image. This url is unique on every request: no caching

either.

Caching is rather difficult with current clients: every url/bbox is
almost unique.
IF the extent, and everything is always the same (as you say), you could

try to arrange something with a webproxy/cache (in front of mapserver),
this will then serve a cached version of your image. But this has not
something to do with mapserver(s temp directory).
OR you should use a tiling server, and a client which can use that. With

tiles your are caching.

Gr Richard Duivenvoorde