temp directory remain empty

Milo van der Linden mlinden at ZEELANDNET.NL
Wed Dec 5 08:53:40 EST 2007

Thank you all for the responses!

I am using Mapserver as cgi. Main purpose is to serve data through wms.
The options mentioned are therefor not usable for me.

Is there anyone out there that knows how to implement some sort of
caching on webserver level that can interpret the request and say ah, I
allready have this image on disk! and then returns the image instead of
firing the request to mapserver again?

Piero Cavalieri wrote:

Maybe your IMAGEPATH and IMAGEURL options are not correct. However images in temp dir are not used by Mapserver for caching. The cgi is stateless, and u have to find some other way to have chaching, I think.

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

it depends how you use mapserver: - as a cgi - using mapserver/php
script (mapscript)
Using it as a cgi (as you do), there will be no temporary images: upon
creating the map-image the image is streamed to the client.
Using mapscript, mapscript generates an image and a page in which there
is an url to THIS image. This url is unique on every request: no caching
either. Caching is rather difficult with current clients: every url/bbox
is almost unique.
IF the extent, and everything is always the same (as you say), you could
try to arrange something with a webproxy/cache (in front of mapserver),
this will then serve a cached version of your image. But this has not
something to do with mapserver(s temp directory).
OR you should use a tiling server, and a client which can use that. With
tiles your are caching.