Problems compiling Mapserver 5.0.0

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Dec 5 11:23:15 EST 2007

William Hudspeth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install Mapserver 5.0.0 on a machine running Suse Linux
> 10.1. I have used the following configure statement with no errors:
>
> ./configure --with-freetype=/usr/bin/freetype-config
> --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib --with-png=/usr/local/png
> --with-jpeg=/usr/local/jpeg --with-gd=/usr/local
> --with-proj=/usr/local/proj --with-geos=/usr/local/geos/bin/geos-config
> --with-ogr=/usr/bin/gdal-config --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config
> --with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg-config --with-wfs --with-wcs
> --with-wmsclient --with-wfsclient
> --with-curl-config=/usr/bin/curl-config --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/httpd2
> --with-php=/usr/include/php5
>
> When I try to run make, I get the following errors (I have only included
> the last few lines of the output):
>
> mappostgis.c:1647: error: ‘PGresult’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)

William,

I'd suggest you look closely at what gets set for the following lines in
your Makefile:

# Optional PostGIS Support.  See http://postgis.refractions.net/
POSTGIS=      -DUSE_POSTGIS
POSTGIS_LIB=  -L/usr/lib/postgresql/8.0/lib -lpq
POSTGIS_INC=  -I/usr/include/postgresql

Also, the most important thing to see is the compile line for mappostgis
and the first few errors.  I'd like to confirm that -DUSE_POSTGIS is on
the compile line, and see if any include files are reporting as not found.
I am guessing that pg-config is not returning appropriate configuration
information for your setup, and that this is causing libpq-fe.h to not be
found.

Best regards,