Legends and setting fonts for . . .

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Thu Dec 27 18:05:02 EST 2007

All,

I've been working on improving some legends and ran into a few
problems.  I managed to get through them, but figured I would send this
little note to the list about a couple of items.

It's not obvious from the LEGEND docs what the LABEL tag is supposed to
do inside of the LEGEND tags.  Suggested remedy, add a little more to
the LEGEND doc's, or call the action something else besides LABEL, maybe
LABELS or even plain old FONT would have worked better as a description
while inside of the LEGEND tags.  Can anyone go in there and edit
things?
Is there a way to add in a logo to a LEGEND?  I thought about a few
ways of tricking MapServer into doing it, but I would also like to have
some control over where the logo ended up being positioned in the
Legend, our use case would be to place a symbol, at a fairly large size
in the Legend output, preferably to the right of the regular legend
output.  I think I could go another route with some of this and build
the Logo image with a separate call to MapServer, but the LEGEND
container is an obvious way to group a logo with a set of legend chip
entries, which the next question will relates to.
I know this is going to sound a bit left of field at first, but hang in
here with me a for a couple of minutes, anyone know of a way to pass an
Image Map back for a raster legend?  Ideally I would like to be able to
link to the legend chip and/or text  for some Metadata URL's, having the
same available for the logo would also be desirable for the same
reason.
Some of the above might be out there with respect to the operation of
MapServer already in one form or another, but the grouping of these
things inside of the LEGEND object has many benefits, one of them being,
that a layer owner/publisher has all the cartogrphy config in one
location vs building an additional logo image to place next to the
Legend image.  The ImageMap for Legends is sort of meant as a halfway
point between HTML & Raster.   Also, I think I may be describing a more
generalized approach to the building of the Raster Legend, in that most,
if not all, LAYER drawing capabilities (including imagemap generation)
be implemented within the LEGEND object as well.  What if one could
include a Thumbnail of a map in the legend, all sorts of things I could
do with something like that for example  :c)

I'm speaking to the use of MapServer CGI above, with a separate
non-embedded image, so I shouldn't offend too many folks with my wild
ideas, but I should also state that these ideas would also help with our
GeoMoose framework client project considerably.  The GeoMoose interface
uses a separate Legend call for each Layer or group of layers, and the
logo idea was squarely aimed at providing a feedback of informational
link to a Publishing authority for a layer or group of layers in the
interface.

Thanks

bobb

P.S.  BTW, I do have some funds available to do this work if it's
deemed acceptable to try, even in a provisional way to begin with.