Google-ish cartography.

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Mon Dec 31 14:04:38 EST 2007

All,

I'm making good progress on my Google-ish cartography mapfile creation,
see the attached links.  I will be publishing it to the GeoMoose site as
a mapfile once it's ready.  It should be portable to use against the
Census tiger centerlines as well, actually it should be fairly easy to
apply to any centerline data set with the correct classifications
available.  I'm using a local data set though, so there are likely to be
some differences.  If anyone has a tiger data set available somewhere to
try it out on, I would be interested in those results.  I'm trying to
add Documentation as I go in the MapFile as well.

Why am I doing this, actually I'm just trying to get a jumping off
point, where I can take this generic "Google-ish" version of a MapFile,
and re-theme for my own uses, problably

Link to screen shot of AGG sampled output:
http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/temp/agg_test2.png

Link to screen shot of non-agg sampled output:
http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/temp/agg_test.png

There are still some little things like the centering of the numbers in
the highway shield, as in they moved a pixel or two to the left in the
AGG output.  Also, Google seems to use some sort of ADT (Traffic Counts)
for it's classification of the roads, so I'll need to research that a
bit I think.  Some of the collectors are not highlighted in yellow like
those in the Google output.  I also took some liberty with their
Interstate Shields and made them bigger.

Also, here is a comparative Google link of the links from above :
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.0011,-93.227014&spn=0.014232,0.030341&z=15&om=1

bobb