ArcSDE Connection problem

Guillermo Jury ms at CGJ.COM.AR
Tue Feb 6 14:30:52 EST 2007

Hi, I am trying to connecto to an ArcSDE server using this map file:

MAP
    NAME ARG1
    STATUS ON
    SIZE 800 500
    IMAGETYPE GIF
    IMAGECOLOR 240 240 240
    EXTENT 2489639 3530132 7546106 7856219
    UNITS METERS
	WEB
		IMAGEPATH "/MAPSERVER/OUTPUT"
		IMAGEURL "/MAPSERVER/OUTPUT"
		LOG "/MAPSERVER/OUTPUT/mapserv_log.log"
	END
	LAYER
	    DEBUG ON
	    NAME "dpt"
	    TYPE POLYGON
	    CONNECTION "10.1.5.213,port:5151,sde,sde,passwordReplaced"
   	    CONNECTIONTYPE sde
	    DATA "sde.SDE.DEPARTMENTS,shape"
		CLASS
			NAME "US states"
			OUTLINECOLOR 60 00 00
			COLOR 255 255 0
			SYMBOL 0
		END
	END
END

I am using mapscript and a compiled version of Mapserver, MS4W. I followed
all the steps announced here:
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL.html#sde-9-1

All the dlls where placed properlly. This machine is an ArcInfo client so
through that application(ArcCatalog) there is of course no problem when
connecting to the arcSDE which is in another server.

Also orginfo works perfectly fine:
>ogrinfo SDE:10.1.5.213,5151,sde,sde,hidden sde.sde.Departments -ro -so

This command returns all the proper info, so orginfo is connecting fine to
the server.

My problem is that when using java mapscript and invoking
imageObj img=map.draw();
and then save it into some file, the image lacks of the SDE layer, and no
error is drop, so I have no clue what may be wrong. I tried almost any
combination of connection string... Any comment on what may be wrong or ways
to debug(no log file is being generated) will be very appreciated.