Securing MAP files.

Delfos, Jacob Jacob.Delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Wed Feb 7 22:18:12 EST 2007

Ian,

Your mapfiles need not be accessible by HTTP in order for your PHP
programs to run them, if you know what I mean. They don't have to be
public access, in a web-aliased folder. If they are available by HTTP
(if they need to be), then use basic Apache authentication (e.g.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html).

If, on the other hand, you want your application to only use certain
mapfiles, you can use that same authentication, and then pick up the
username in PHP, with this server-variable:

$_SERVER['REDIRECT_REMOTE_USER'])

You can then make your application behave differently on the basis of
this username. For example, see:
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/chameleon/2005-September/002992.html

regards,

Jacob