WMS/WFS and (yearly) time-dependent data

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Feb 22 10:27:54 EST 2007

Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
> I am not (or better: hardly) working with raster data. All vector data.
> National statistics for the whole world, like population density, gdp,
> forest cover etc.
>
> So, the each one of the 1000 or so (postgres) tables looks like this:
>
> id     1970      1971   ....    2006
> 1        23.1        35.4   ....    45.6
> 2        12.3        10.9   ....    4.23
> 249 .....
>
> and each id is then linked to another (postgis) table with the country
> names and the geometry.

  I think in this case the the wms time would not be a use for you.
  I think one possibility to look at would be to use the  run time
substitution of Mapserver
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/runsub) .  You might be able to
achieve that by using variables in an sql statement (that is part of
the DATA value of your postgis layer) and have these variables
substituted according to values in the request

Later,

>>  How is your data structured in postgis ? There is an example in the
>> how using a postgis layer with a time field :
>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_time_support/#example-of-wms-t-with-postgis-tile-index-for-raster-imagery

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca