Shape File Validity

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Feb 23 13:32:50 EST 2007

Jandost Khoso wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to know is there any way to check validity of exisiting
> Shapefile? Also can you list me few tools to create Shape files from
> other formats?
> Kindest Regards,

As Flavio mentions, ogrinfo, ogr2ogr and fme are useful.

For checking you might look into ShapeChecker off:

There are also various shapefile odds and ends at:

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at
light and sound - activate the windows |
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,