Mapserver acceptance as open source

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 8 14:40:54 EST 2007

Hi John

I've been through this with a few clients who say they want the 'corporate
backing' and the old adage 'No one got fired for buying from IBM' - normally
comes down to who can they sue if something goes wrong.  Never heard of much
of that happening though!

I've explained to customers how the large vendors don't normally support the
solution but are just technology providers.  As a solution provider it is
actually safer for your client to have you supply Open Source as you have
access to all the code if there are any issues - not just access to a Tech
Support bod at the end of the phone line.

I gave a presentation about this a while ago at an Autodesk User Day and
although it mentions my company and my history it was titled 'What is all
this FOSS about'<http://images.autodesk.com/emea_nw_w_main/files/autodesk_open_day_25th_october_2006.ppt>-
trying to be comical.  There may be some pointers in there that may
help
with the slides about 'Who develops it' and 'Who backs it' and also why I
believe that there will always be a case for both open and closed source
(Generic Technology vs. Vertical Solution)

One last point would be how well do you know the customer?  Is there a
hidden agenda or does a closed source vendor salesman have their ear also -
may be worthwhile investigating prior to re pitching the compelling reasons
to go Open Source...

HTH
Mike