[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] symbols in mapfile or symbolset file?]

Dolf Andringa dolf.andringa at ELCYION.NL
Thu Jan 11 08:07:29 EST 2007

Yeah I know. THe question is just where I define them. When you normally
use mapfiles you create a separate symbolset file with your symbol
definitions and in the mapfile in the map description you add
"symbolsetfile <filename>" or you directly put the symbol descriptions
in the map description instead of in a separate file.

I am not writing mapfiles though, I am creating maps using mapscript
(and directly draw them). And mapscript does not give you the option to
add symbols to the mapObj, it just gives you the possibility to add a
separate symbolSet file to the mapObj. That is my point. When I manually
write mapfiles, I have the option to either define my symbols directly
in the map  description or in a separate file and reference that from
the map description. With mapscript I do not have that option.

Dolf