PHP/Mapscript on Fedora Core 5

M S mseibel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 16 11:10:55 EST 2007

Greetings everyone.

I have gone through various documents for several days, to try to get
PHP/Mapscript working on FC5.  While I am familiar with CGI Mapserver, the
PHP configuration is new to me.  I keep getting a "PHP Warning: dl() [<a
href='function.dl'>function.dl</a>]: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib/php/modules/php_mapscript.so' "

I compiled mapserver with the --with-php=DIR option, and got a
php_mapscript.so file from Make, which I placed in the /usr/lib/php/modules
directory (as per my php.ini file).  The .so file is accessable by apache,
and has r-x permissions.  my phpinfo() works fine and spits back a bunch of
stuff, but I keep getting an "unable to load php_mapscript.so" error in
apache web log.  I checked the php.ini file, and it is pointing to the
'/usr/lib/php/modules' directory.  the php.ini file also allows for dl
loads.

I used this document, (which was from 2004, so I presume FC4 or maybe FC3?)
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0404/msg00266.html
and had no luck.  I am not sure I understand why a wrapper script is needed
in this example.

I  also uninstalled the RPM of PHP and tried a source install which didnt
work, however, i didnt really try  much with the configure options from
source, and went back to the RPM software.

On the FAQ page of mapserver, it says that PHP/Mapscript has to be setup as
CGI, but others had mentioned to me they were successfully using
PHPmapscript as a module without problems on Debian.  The RPM install on
FC5, puts a "php" and a "php-cgi" program in the /usr/bin directory.  i
tried pointing to the php-cgi app too, but no luck.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Mark