Shape performance question - one larger file vs. several smaller

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Jan 23 14:32:51 EST 2007

Dejan -

This will depend on your data.  A good way to think about things is what you
would like the optimal situation to be.  The best possible case for a map
request would be for exactly one shapefile to be opened, and for every shape
in that file to be drawn on the map.  That way you are not opening multiple
files (relatively expensive) nor are you skipping over features you don't
need (not as expensive, but not free).

Selecting features based on classification is also not expensive, but not
free.  But it's cheaper than opening multiple files (I suppose that might
not be true if you had a LOT of features but very few types).

How many different files/types do you have, and how many features (total) do
you have?  Do you have a particularly slow disk system?

By the way, provided you're using spatial indexes for your shapefiles, any
shapefile reorganization is unlikely to make a lot of difference.  It's
worth tuning a bit, but except in unusual cases it's not likely to make
things twice as fast or slow.

     - Ed

--
Ed McNierney