Strange imagetype/outputformat behaviour

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jul 13 10:50:06 EDT 2007

Gambin Dejan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe someone can explain my imagetype/outputformat behaviour. I am
> displaying a set of RGB tif rasters. I set:
>
> IMAGETYPE png
> OUTPUTFORMAT
>   NAME png
>   DRIVER "GD/PNG"
>   MIMETYPE "image/png"
>   IMAGEMODE RGB
>   FORMATOPTION  INTERLACE=OFF
>   TRANSPARENT OFF
> OUTPUTFORMAT
>   NAME png8
>   DRIVER "GD/PNG"
>   MIMETYPE "image/png"
>   IMAGEMODE PC256
>   FORMATOPTION  INTERLACE=OFF
>   TRANSPARENT OFF
> END
> END

Dejan,

I assume you don't really nest outputformat declarations like you
show above, right?

> The resulting 556x424 png image is 303KB in size.
 > When setting some user
> defined IMAGETYPE/NAME, for example:
>
> IMAGETYPE custom
> OUTPUTFORMAT
>   NAME custom
>  I get a much worse display,  and the png file is 53KB in size. Is it
> allowed to set the custom names here?

Yes, it is allowed (in fact encouraged) to use your own custom name
for custom output format declarations.

> Also, I get the same result with png8 and png IMAGETYPE. I don't know
> why? Maybe I am missing something?

I'm not sure your attempt to override the PNG output format really
worked.  I normally never use a pre-defined output format name for
a custom output format declaration in a mapfile.

Best regards,