Implementing Scale-Dependent Styles in a WMS Server

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Thu Jul 26 10:41:37 EDT 2007

I'm starting to build a MapServer WMS server that will provide national
street layers to my MapServer client but I have some questions about how
to approach the problem of serving alternate layers designed for
different scales and same layers with different styles depending on the
scale. For example, I've got a US Interstates layer that has been
thinned so that it is appropriate for scales smaller than 1:10,000,000,
and I've got another one that I'd use at larger scales (but from
1:10,000,000 to 1:5,000,000 I want to use one style and for scales
between 1:5,000,000 and 1:1,000,000 I want to use another style on this
layer). Then I've got some MapInfo seamless road layers that have the
highest detail that I'd use at the largest scales, but for these too, I
have three different styles depending on the display scale.

Can a MapServer WMS server support this sort of thing or should I load
each layer as needed and style it in the WMS client MAP file? I know how
to do the latter, but it would be much more convenient to make one call
to a WMS and get all the appropriate layers rendered with the desired
styles in one LAYER call in my client MAP files. I've read the how-tos
for WMS client and server, and glanced at the article about SLD's (but
haven't understood that very well yet) but so far I haven't seen this
issue addressed specifically.  Does anyone have any suggestions about
how to do this, or can you point me to any documentation I should read?

TIA,
- Bill Thoen