How to Fix Ratty Line Rendering in WMS? - Redux

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Fri Jul 27 13:29:28 EDT 2007

I've now posted some images showing the problem at
http://www.gisnet.com/wms_examples/.

To summarize the problem, I've set up a MapServer WMS Server that's got
road data in native MapInfo format with a coordinate system based on
Lat/Long (EPSG:4269). When I display it in a MapServer client map using
the same projection EPSG:4269, the line work looks nice and clean.
However, if I try to use a different projection in my client like
EPSG:2163 (Lambert), the lines are pretty shabby looking.

I'm not using transparency or antialiasing (I couldn't get that to work
in the WMS anyway). The WMS produces png images, and my OUTPUTFORMAT
directive in my WMS' MAP file :looks like:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
      NAME png
      DRIVER "GD/PNG"
      MIMETYPE "image/png"
      IMAGEMODE RGB
      EXTENSION "png"
   END

My MapServer installation details:
MapServer version 4.10.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Does anyone know what's causing the lines to come out so ratty in the
2163 projection or how to fix it?

- Bill Thoen