Server Specification

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Wed May 2 19:46:49 EDT 2007

> Our current server has a 3GHz Xeon Processor, 1 GB RAM, a mirrored pair
> of 36GB Drives, running Ubuntu Linux (2.6.x kernel) .  I have hyper
> threading turned off.

Why would you turn off HT? I'd think that the system could benefit from an
extra CPU or two.

As to the RAM usage: How much of the RAM is file cache? If you don't
actually use the RAM, the OS uses it for cache and there's never too much
of that!

The startup time is a tough one, since Mapserver is a CGI app and
therefore doesn't do magical things like caching open filehandles or
prefetching data. If you're using Mapscript, maybe there's some
accelerator for the language you're using, e.g. PHP Accelerator?

--
HostGIS
Cartographic development and hosting services

"Remember that no one cares if you can back up, only if you can restore."
- AMANDA