non-tiff (24 bit?) raster layers in 4.10

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Thu May 10 10:27:24 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 18:06, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> I did some time ago a quick comparison about Mapserver speed with GeoTIFF,
> ECW, and jpeg2000 with JP2ECW and JP2KAK drivers.   Then GeoTIFF was, not
> surprisingly, the fastest followed by ECW and jpeg2000 with JP2ECW (ER
> Mapper) driver.  Jpeg2000 with Kakadu driver was slowest of those at that
> time.  I have read that GDAL Kakadu driver has been updated a few weeks ago
> and is a lot faster now. Jasper jpeg2000 driver I have never tried.  You

As this is for mostly archival purposes, and the machine in question has no
dev tools so I'm limited to standard Debian packages, it will do for the time
being. I have seen some refreshes in Sid, (1.4.1-4+b1 has appeared, but only
as a standalone GDAL lib/util, the Mapserver packages in Sid are still
compiled against 1.3.2, which leads to a version conflict ATM). I certainly
will retry when I have the time to build my own package or Sid has a working
Mapserver install again. Thanks for your tips in any case.

> You cannot do that directly with Kakadu demo software.  Kakadu is after all
> software development kit, even if it does offer some ready made
> executables.  However, if you explode your existing tiffs first into
> 1-channel or 3-channel tiffs you can compress them all together into
> multichannel jp2 file (from greyscales) or alternatively to .jpx file which

Yes, that's what I said, too :) The perhaps simpler way of doing this is via
tiffcp (which comes with libtiff-utils or libtiff-bin if you're on linux)
which does just this - moves/copies layers around in tif files, converting
them if necessary.