join with dbf file

Fischer, Brian bfischer at HOUSTONENGINEERINGINC.COM
Mon May 14 09:28:51 EDT 2007

Rich,

You are correct, I am just trying to display attribute data from the
join table.

-Brian

Brian Fischer
Houston Engineering, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN
(763) 493-4522

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Richard Greenwood
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:46 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] join with dbf file

On 5/13/07, Fischer, Brian <bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Everything is working fine for the "Parcel
> Selected" class.  The problem I am having is in the "Multi-Interest
> Parcel" class.  The parcels represent properties like condos where
> there are multiple owners associated with one polygon.  I have a table

> that relates to those polygons and would like to display all the
> owners in the query template using a one-to-many join.  When I do an
> nquery on one of those multi-owner polygons, it returns attributes
> from the data source in the layer, but nothing from the join .dbf
file.

So you are not trying to draw a map highliting multiple parcel polygons,
you want to display attribute data (like owner name, address, etc.) for
multiple records associated with a single polygon.
Am I right?  I have an application in which I am doing something like
this and I can say that it is pretty straight forward. Unfortunately,
the app where I'm doing it is not publicly accessible so you can not
easily see it, and I'm traveling, so I can not easily attach any code
snippets.

More generally, I've struggled wit the
condo-as-one-to-many-relationship issue for years, and basically, I
don't see condos as one-to-many, they are one-to-one. Put a spatial
object (either a point, or a small polygon) on the map for each record
in your table.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood