Direct use of Vmap0 with Mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed May 16 09:25:18 EDT 2007

Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to be simple to convert Vmap0 data to shapefiles or whatever with
> ogr2ogr.  I am now thinking that is that conversion compulsory or could I
> use Vmap0 directly as source data for Mapserver?  I made a trial by giving
> "CONNECTIONTYPE OGR" and CONNECTION in the way that worked with ogr2ogr but
> with no success.
>
> Is it even theoretically possible to use Vmap0 data directly with Mapserver,
> of should I just take the layers out to some other format with ogr2ogr?

Jukka,

I have used mapserver to map directly from VMAP0 data in the past.  But it is
not necessarily all that efficient so if you want to do serious work I'd
encourage you to pull the parts you need out of VMAP0 in shapefile or some
other high performance format, build spatial indices, etc.

> By the way, OGR documentation gives this usage example:
>
> ogr2ogr watrcrsl.shp gltp:/vrf/usr4/mpp1/v0eur/vmaplv0/eurnasia
> 'watrcrsl at hydro(*)_line' 'watrcrsl at hydro(*)_line'
>
> In Windows that seemd not to work but I had to remove the quotes.

Indeed.  I don't quite have the zen of quoting for the windows command window
mastered yet.

Best regards,