Display non spatial table

Nolte, Tim Tim.Nolte at IPCSWIRELESSINC.COM
Wed Oct 3 09:26:57 EDT 2007

Johannes,

I'm not sure which version of Oracle you are using, we're on 10g,
however, I was recently in the same position as you. What I found out
was that all editions of 10g include some minimal Oracle Spatial
capabilities, and it's called "Locator". What this gave me is the
ability to create the spatial data right in the database form the X/Y
coordinates. All I had to do what make sure that MapServer was compiled
with Oracle Spatial support and enter the connection and spatial query
directly in my mapfile. The other way to do this is via OGR however
there are performance hits going this route as to compared with using
actual spatial data from the database. If you need any help setting up
your MapServer to use Oracle spatial let me know as I've done it on both
Solaris and HostGIS.