Looking for public-accessible SHPs to practice Tile Indexing

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Oct 11 13:42:47 EDT 2007

Comments below:

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm really interested in Tile Indexing (tile4ms)
> function of MapServer, and I'm actually going to work
> on adjacent SHPs.
>
> I just wonder --is there any adjacent SHP files to
> download, to practice the Tile Indexing function?

You can also just manually create a few shapefiles to play with.

> This page:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/tile4ms/?searchterm=Tile%20Index
> mentions about TIGER Census data (which consists
> adjacent SHPs, isn't it?), but when I went to the
> download page, I didn't find the link (duh!).

Correct, TIGER will be releasing its data in shapefile format shortly
though.

> Also, the tile4ms function only create an SHP file
> that functions as "index", but in order to display the
> individual data contained in each SHP (polygon, line,
> etc), I still need to declare each SHP file (as
> layers) in my MAP file, do I not?

See section 4 of that page
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/tile4ms/).
  You use that index in that ONE layer, and MapServer will draw all of
the associated SHP files that are 'indexed' in that one index file.

If you find a section of that page unclear please let me know and I can
modify that page.

--
Jeff McKenna
DM Solutions Group Inc.