Color coding from two data sources

Don Drake dondrake at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 13:41:54 EDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Mark Leslie <mark.leslie at lisasoft.com> wrote:

> Don Drake wrote:
> >> zipcodes.  I
> like
> >> PostGIS
> >> there

> >> That depends what you mean by 'merge'.  If you want to display both in
> >> the same layer, you can come close by defining two layers in the same
> >> group (see the GROUP item at
> >> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer).  If you
> want
> >> to join the two sources together, Jeff has a nice example in the
> >> reference docs
> >> (
> >>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/join#example-2-join-from-shp-file-to-postgresql-table
> >> ).
> >> If I've missed the point entirely, then I'll need some more details
> >> about what you're trying to end up with.
> >>

> > Very interesting.  It looks like the second link is close to what I
> need,
> > the first is not what I need.
> >
> > The thing is that the postgres table the data is coming out of does not
> have
> > a geometry column, the key is the zipcode.  Furthermore, it will
> probably
> > come from a query, or a view.  I tried using a view with no geometry and
> > could not get it to work.  The geometry will come from a shapefile.
> >
> > If this would work, could I color code using an expression?  Is there a
> > Mapscript alternative?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Don
> >

> If there's no geometry in the table, then the join is your only option
> AFAIK.  The downside is that joins are only intended for use in queries,
> not in styling.  I expect that since you're using MapScript, you could
> execute a query to determine membership and dynamically setup the
> styling, but that's a reasonably horrible solution.  You'd be better of
> using php to connect directly to postgres (http://au2.php.net/pgsql) to
> find a zipcodes and set up your classes from that.  Can I ask why you
> don't want to load the zipcodes into PostGIS, or extract the table to
> shapefile for that matter?  Does the zipcode table change frequently?
>
> --
> Mark Leslie
> Software Architect
> LISAsoft Pty Ltd
> www.lisasoft.com

sitting in the filesystem for the entire country, I wish I could easily
change the polygon color based on another attribute from a query from
Postgres.

I tried doing that using expressions, but it's not working, debugging
mapscript is very frustrating.

I'll be loading these into postGIS, thanks for your help.

-Don