Serving many shapefiles through WFS

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Fri Oct 19 11:19:42 EDT 2007

If you're serving observations, you might want to consider MapServer's
OGC Sensor Observation Service (SOS) support.

> Currently I make use of a script which reads the directory
> with the names of the shapefiles, this script creates for
> each shapefile a layer in the mapfile. This means that there
> is a layer for each shapefile, resulting in many layers. The
> disadvantage is that the map file will grow to infinite in
> time, because every day a new file is added to the mapfile.
>
> In the case of a WMS, it is possible to make use of a
> TILEINDEX which contains the names of these shapefiles and
> their corresponding time/date of observation. With the WMS
> TIME parameter one can select the desired file. In this case
> only one layer is needed, the file with the TILEINDEX is the
> only thing that needs to be updated.
>
> It seems that this is not possible with a Web Feature
> Service. Am i right with this?
> So how can i serve all these shapefiles through WFS?

WFS 1.0.0 doesn't support the TIME parameter natively.

SOS supports eventtime as part of the GetObservation operation.

I've setup a dummy TILEINDEX'd dataset and have tried a GetObservation
request:

(tests are doing using trunk):

http://devgeo.cciw.ca/cgi-bin/mapserv/sostest?service=SOS&version=1.0.0&
request=GetObservation&offering=Water&observedproperty=WaterQuality&resp
onseFormat=text/xml;%20subtype=om/0.0.0

http://devgeo.cciw.ca/cgi-bin/mapserv/sostest?service=SOS&version=1.0.0&
request=GetObservation&offering=Water&observedproperty=test_op&responseF
ormat=text/xml;%20subtype=om/0.0.0&eventtime=%3Cgml:TimePeriod%3E%3Cgml:
beginPosition%3E2001-07-11%3C/gml:beginPosition%3E%3Cgml:endPosition%3E2
007-07-13%3C/gml:endPosition%3E%3C/gml:TimePeriod%3E

...which renders no results, but it should.  I will look further into
this.

..Tom