Compiling Java MapScript on Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Mon Oct 22 15:46:22 EDT 2007

There was a general problem in mapserver with OSX, at one time an
Xcode update caused unwind_resume errors in linking.  But it has been
fixed: LD should be C++.  It looks like the current 5.0 release has
this fixed in the java mapscript makefile, at least as far as the LD
definition goes.  But the link command is wrong - it uses $(CC)
instead of $(LD), and uses the wrong flag for a dynamic library:

	$(CC) -fpic -shared mapscript_wrap.o -o libmapscript.so $(LDFLAGS)

This should be (-single_module is also a good idea):

	$(LD) -fpic -dynamiclib -single_module mapscript_wrap.o -o
libmapscript.so $(LDFLAGS)

This is a very specific casse - the shared/dynamic lib flags should
also be set by configure for the system, like in the PHP mapscript
makefile.

Note also that CC is set twice in the java mapscript makefile - once
from configure, then again hardwired to gcc.  This will override any
custom GCC setting from configure (like when I do universal builds).

BUT, I've done this, and java mapscript doesn't work (I forget the
error).  I don't have time (or much interest) to fiddle with java
mapscript.  If you want to look into this you should file bug reports
for any problems you find.

On Oct 22, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Z Kissane wrote:

> Short version:  I'm trying to get the Java Mapscript
> shared library to compile on OS X Tiger.  I've been
> trying to hack the Makefile to get it to work.
> Everything compiles just fine (including the jar
> file), it's the linker that's giving me grief.  Both
> Mapserver 4.10 and Mapserver 5 will not build the Java
> Mapscript shared library "out of the box" as far as I
> can tell.  I have followed the guide  at kyngchaos.com
> to get Mapserver itself to build, which works just
> fine.
>
> Longer version:  The linker for OS X is a little bit
> "special".  I don't know if I'm supposed to be using
> ld via g++, ld on its own, or libtool.  Also, the Sun
> JVM for OS X is "special" in its own right; it
> requires JNI libraries passed to the JVM to be named
> <libname>.jnilib.    It will ignore libraries like
> <libname>.so.  I found this out after I had tabled the
> project, but had actually produced some .so output
> files (which the JVM was ignoring even though I was
> passing their directory to java.library.path).  I
> renamed them one by one to libmapscript.jnilib , and
> it turned out that one of them did, in fact work, but
> by then I had tried something else with the Makefile,
> wiping out the "good" settings.
>
> Basically, I can't remember what combination of g++,
> ld, libtool, -dynamic, -dynamiclib, and -bundle or
> whatever got me the file that worked.  If you're
> playing along at home, I do know that you have to hack
> the JAVA_INCLUDE variable in the Makefile to point at
> the proper location for the Java headers; mine is
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/
> JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/headers
> I also know that, out of the box (or rather, after you
> run configure in the main Mapserver build) that the
> SUP_LIBS variable incorrectly uses the iconv header
> variable, ICONV_INC, rather than the iconv library
> variable, ICONV_LIB, which drove me nuts for a couple
> of hours.  You may also get linker errors because it
> tries to use gcc to link instead of g++, which means
> it gets cut off from some C++ libraries that it needs;
> I don't know, all the problems have kind of blurred
> together at this point.  But if somebody can just tell
> me which tool and which options will produce the
> library I would be most grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Zach Kissane
> zkissane at sbcglobal.net

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy