A really weird problem with querying a map

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Wed Oct 31 15:36:38 EDT 2007

Fawcett, David wrote:
> I ran into something with 5.0 and didn't think that much of it.  If you
> haven't defined a TOLERANCE and TOLERANCEUNITS.  Try a tolerance of 1
> meter or something like that.

Well, this is something...

Of note: The data layers are in geographic with NAD27 (EPSG:4269),
whereas the map's output projection is UTM zone 9 NAD 27 (EPSG:26709).
Evidently this is very relevant when it comes to queries.

I set these:
   TOLERANCE 100
   TOLERANCEUNITS pixels
and it works well enough to do the job.
But not well enough for me to understand what's happening.

I do find this odd. The documentation says that the defaults for polygon
layers are "0 pixels" meaning that one must click inside the polygon.
This would be just perfect, but instead I get "nothing found" if I leave
it at that default.

I find it odd that I should have to use such a huge tolerance, too. If I
reduce the tolerance, I start getting all sorts of false positives:
clicking too close to a border will bring up the neighbor's info. I find
that confusing: I'd think that to be a side effect of a *higher*
tolerance being set, yes?

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA