Raster layer - Howto?

Pascal Ehlert dadark at DADARK.DE
Wed Oct 31 17:15:51 EDT 2007

On 31.10.2007, at 22:05, Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> If I recall, the Blue Marble stuff is not a geotiff (use gdalinfo
> on it to see if it has a projection and a center and all) and
> you'll have to create your own world file. It's a simple text file
> that describes the pixel coordinates in order for the data to have
> a spatial location.

Hi Gregor,

thank you for your quick answer!
I'm sure I'm interpreting this correctly, but doesn't it mean it's a
geotiff already?

odamoz:/var/www/odamap# gdalinfo land_shallow_topo_8192.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 8192, 4096
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
   TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=72
   TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=72
   TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
Image Structure Metadata:
   COMPRESSION=LZW
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 4096.0)
Upper Right ( 8192.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 8192.0, 4096.0)
Center      ( 4096.0, 2048.0)
Band 1 Block=8192x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=8192x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=8192x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue