Question about Labels

Jelmer Baas jelmerbs at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Sep 13 09:16:37 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Jelmer,
>
> I checked in the code, and it seems that you'd get that error if
> MapServer tries to read one of the OGR:Label* attributes on a feature
> that does not have a label definition, or in the case of TAB files, on a
> MapInfo object that is not a TEXT object.
>
> I am realizing just now that this makes it impossible to use OGR:Label*
> on a .TAB file that has mixed object types. I think it would be possible
> to make MapServer handle this more gracefully, i.e. returning some
> default values (text="", angle=0 and size=0) in cases where the object
> is not of the right type.

Hmm, so this means I'll have to detect whether or not a .TAB file has a
labels or not? I'm not sure if this would be per item, or per .TAB file
/ layer?

Also, I don't think this detection can be done in MapServer, right?
Maybe in MapBasic... Would you happen to have any ideas about that, too?

Thanks for the help!

--
Jelmer