Create a TileIndex shape file for raster data dynamically

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Mon Sep 24 10:07:22 EDT 2007

Zhonghai Wang wrote:
> I am just wondering if there is someway to create the tile
> index file dynamically using MapScript or GDAL/OGR, not only use the
> MapServer utilities.

The way we've done it still uses the GDAL/OGR utilities as usual,
e.g. in PHP:
  @unlink($indexfile);
  shell_exec("gdaltindex $indexfile /maps/$username/*.tif");

Not particularly creative, but not particularly hackish either, and
quite functional and flexible. What exactly did you have in mind?

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA